our weekend in oklahoma city

This weekend KC Cheer went to Oklahoma City for ASC Nationals, and me and ML made it a reunion trip with Paige and Jessica. We traveled all across the country together for 10 solid years, and so it was a blast to round up the old gang and have another great weekend adventure.


here's Huck and I at ASC in 2004, and 10 years later in 2014. We had some issues feeling super washed up this weekend. We were pretty bummed that we probably couldn't pull out level 5 tumbling anymore. We quickly got over it though when we found out we were invited to coaches dinner. 

We drove to OKC on Friday morning, of course stopping at Cane's in Edmond for delicious chicken fingers. We won a free Box Combo while we were there, so obviously we had to stop again on the way home. 

My mom has to get to the competitions early in order to get all of the hotel rooms squared away before the kids get there. We spent the afternoon entertaining the hotel staff, and ended up sweet talking our way into a bomb ass suite. Our room was huge. It was awesome. 

Saturday morning we were up bright and early to get good seats to watch the level 5 teams perform. It was our job to take notes on all of the teams so we could try to calculate where we thought our level fives would end up. Cheer stalking at its finest. Me and Huck are pros. We went up to the top of the arena so we could get a seat that looked out over the whole floor, and there were A TON of empty seats. So we just took the first four we saw together and some psycho moms were like "NO YOU CAN'T SIT THERE THESE ARE RESERVED FOR OUR ATHLETES!"

....ok. First of all, we were athletes not 5 years ago...we know for a fact you never just go "sit and chill" up top of the arena. Second of all, if they're not sitting there right now, why is it such a big deal for us to sit there until they "come back to sit" (which we knew was not going to happen). They pissed us off, so the next day we got there extra early and plopped ourselves down right in the middle of their section. They couldn't say anything, because they hadn't gotten there before us to save all the seats. Who's laughin now? That's what you get. 
We had some mediocre food pretty much for every single meal. Here's a pic of me and mom at Bricktown Brewery. Deece food, GREAT sweet tea. 


We also got to go to the coaches dinner at the end of day 1. Lots of laughs, drinks, and carrying on. We reminisced a lot on old hilarious competition stories, and it was so fun to just relax and have a good chat with people who coached me when I was younger. We had a lot of fun. 

Fierce 5 kicked ass this weekend. So did Fearless. They both won their divisions, and brought tears to my eyes when they performed. I am such a proud alumnus... proud to say I was once a part of that amazing team. 



My girls did really well this weekend. They had a rough first day, and I was not pleased with them. They had some negative attitudes in the practice room, and I was appalled at how they treated each other. Tears streamed down my face as I yelled at them after their day one performance and told them that the practice room is a place to lift one another up and encourage and motivate each other, not to freak out and broadcast that you think you're going to fall. It made me miss my old teammates and the great trust we had in one another. I think it hit a lot of my girls pretty hard because the next day was a total 180. It was some of the greatest energy I had ever seen in the practice room, and they hit a near flawless routine. They ended up winning national champions! Couldn't be more proud of them. They keep getting better and better with each performance. 


All in all, great weekend. Happy to be back in the thick of things at KC Cheer, happy to have had my friends come with me this weekend. There is literally nothing like a great cheerleading-filled weekend. Now if you need me I'll be in my bed all day nursing my cheerhangover. Yes. that's a real thing.

Cheers,







No comments:

Post a Comment