"Bizarre & Improbable & Pretty As a Page from a Fairytale Book....."

Fair warning, this post is so nerdy.

In case I haven't mentioned it about 500 times already, I'm unemployed. Yeah, I'm "actively looking for a job" blah blah blah, but unemployment leads to quite a bit of boredom. One of my favorite things to do in the midst of all this boredom is to learn as much as I can about various Broadway productions. I just think it is all SO INTERESTING, and there is so much you can learn and so many different types of things you can enjoy. I have a bunch of favorites (hey, maybe that can be an upcoming list), but there is one that tops all the rest...

Cinderella.

You guys, I'm obsessed. I just love watching the clips of it and looking at pictures of it, and listening to its music. Cinderella has just been so near and dear to my heart for my entire life. I grew up watching all different versions of it and singing the songs and being in awe at her, and for the longest time I've always said "God I wish they would make a Broadway production of the Rodgers & Hammerstein version of the story." It had always blown my mind that they hadn't. Well in December of 2012 Katie Wells stumbled across the news that it was a real thing. I remember legitimately falling out of my chair I was so excited. I started relentlessly begging my mom to take me to New York to see it.

Then came the Tony Awards.

I recorded them because I wasn't going to be home to watch it live, and I knew Cinderella was going to be one of the performances. It was a medley of a bunch of the songs including the one where the Fairy Godmother turns her into a princess and the one where she dances with the prince. She transformed ON STAGE RIGHT BEFORE YOUR EYES from her rag dress to a gown.



You guys, I watched the entire thing with my mouth hanging open in awe and tears in my eyes. It was the most magical, beautiful, wonderful thing I had ever seen and it made my heart so happy. I then rewound it and watched probably 900 more times. Coincidentally for me, this was right around the time of my college graduation, for which I would be given a gift from my parents....you guessed it....they bought me a trip to New York and tickets to see Cinderella on Broadway.

It was fantastic. I will love it forever and ever and ever. It will always be one of my favorite stories ever, and this version is a little bit different than the one everyone knows. They have updated it a little bit and made it for a modern audience. The songs are all the same, and there are a few new ones. The costume changes are phenomenal and oh my lanta, I just loved the entire thing. The fact that it's about being nice to people no matter what and that you can make things happen for yourself and just ah. I could talk forever. 



I especially love Laura Osnes, who plays the title role. I had no idea who she was until I saw her in June as Cinderella, and she is PERFECT at it. She has the most beautiful voice and she is just PERFECT at it. So naturally, when I got home and in all of my extra time I have had on my hands, I have thoroughly stalked her on the internet. Like I could probably make a creepy fan page about it because I'm so fascinated with her.  She is INCREDIBLY talented and she's just so pretty and oh my lanta. I just love her. Katie Martin and I are both obsessed with her and we just share videos of her back and forth on Facebook. Go look her up if you have a chance. She'll make you wish you could sing. She was in a production of Bonnie & Clyde and she sings this song and OMG she's just incredible.


 Laura has a video blog that she did that's on Youtube called "The Princess Diary" and it goes behind the scenes of the show and you can see all the fun things they do with Cinderella. It is so interesting and actually pretty funny. Probably go watch it. So ya. I'm weirdly obsessed with the Broadway Production of Cinderella. I would see it a million more times if I could, and I can't get enough of Laura Osnes or the music or the videos or anything.

And now I've provided you with enough information to go stalk her yourself and try and become half as obsessed with her/it as we are. Ah. I could go for days. I just love it so much. 

"In the arms of my love, I'm flying. over mountain and meadow and glen. and I like it so well that for all I can tell I may never come down to earth again."

Told you that was going to be so nerdy, but I don't even care. Everybody has that one weird thing they're obsessed with. This is mine.


No comments:

Post a Comment