Hand In Hand

I just opened up my computer to write my "about me" section of this blog, and I thought to myself "ok klew, I want to listen to music while I write this." (ya. I think to myself in a combination of the third and first person. It's my brain. I can do whatever I want.)

So I opened up iTunes and I put on this song. Mostly because it's the first one on my playlist:



But it got me thinking.

It's called Hand in Hand and it's written by a duo called Kerrigan-Lowdermilk. I found them because as I've mentioned before I've recently become mildly obsessed with various Broadway stars, and when I searched a few of them on iTunes the Kerrigan Lowdermilk album came up. They are a songwriting team. He writes the music, she writes the lyrics. I had never heard of them before, but I did recognize quite a few notable Broadway stars singing their songs on this CD. So naturally I went to research them and they are relatively famous in the singer/songwriter world. They have written a few musicals, but nothing you would have ever heard of. They are pretty successful, and they have an EXTENSIVE catalog of work.

So I downloaded a few of these songs and they are delightful. They all have great piano and wonderful voices singing them, and all of the content of the songs is extremely relatable. This "Hand in Hand" seems to simply be about being in love, and hoping the other person is too. I also downloaded one called "The Girl Who Drove Away" (Laura Osnes sings it, so...duh.) which seems to me to talk about making big decisions. "My Heart Is Split" is about leaving a place you once loved, and there are A TON more songs. Like multiple CDs worth, and everything I've listened to so far is great. 

Which is my point. Kerrigan and Lowdermilk are not PARTICULARLY famous. I think they are really well known in the Musical Theater world, I'm not entirely sure. Like if I were to mention the names to you on the street you probably would have no idea who the F I was talking about. And a lot of the songs they have written seem to simply be IN their collection. They have no specific purpose, they were not featured on a CD in order to make millions. They were just written. Written by two people because they enjoy writing music and they are good at it. 

I hope one day I can be like Kerrigan and Lowdermilk. I hope I can hone in on what I love to do and what I'm good at it, and make a living at it and do it for my entire life. I don't need it to be nationally recognized, and I don't need to make infinity million dollars (although I'm going to be famous just bc i'm that entertaining...duh...but this notion is kind of contradicting my point right now, so we can visit that later.) 

I just hope whatever I end up doing can touch/inspire someone like these two just did for me. Idk. I think that discovering one's passion and working out a way to make it a career is the most respectable thing one can do, and I hope that someday I can honestly say that I was able to do just that. 

Okay, now maybe I'll go write the About Me section. Just a little thought for now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment