Pop Culture: Love & Loathe of the week

LOVED IT

1. Shakespeare's 450th birthday!

As Klew put it, "good thing he's already dead, because 450 shots would kill him." And if you think Shakespeare is irrelevant to you, brush up.

My Shakespeare class at KU was one of my favorites, particularly the fact shared by my wise professor, "if we had a time machine to go back to the Globe and see Shakespeare originally, we would die immediately because we've been made WEAK by antiseptics." Hooray! So, let's all go watch Leo and Claire in Romeo+Juliet and cry about it.

2. Jimmy Fallon came back with new episodes


This is really all I have to contribute this week that's not cheerleading or Disney related. I have cheerleading on the BRAIN. I haven't been able to WATCH any new episodes because I've been working every night until 9 and then coming home and basically passing out from exhaustion (god I'm such a wimp), but glad to see there are new episodes on my DVR to watch once all of the madness is over. I love you Jimmy. I wish you had a 23 year old clone that I could marry.

3. Cali Smoed Dropped a stunt in MARCH

(Like I said, all cheerleading all the time this week). California All-Stars Smoed is the team that nobody will stfu about in the Small Senior Coed Worlds predictions. They're the "team to beat" in Fierce 5's division. So naturally since

1. Fierce Five or die for the rest of my life
2. I've not thought about anything except cheerleading all week,

 I have been stalking all of the small coed teams on the internet. I watched nine different videos of Smoed, and they had a major stunt fall at a competition in MARCH. MARCH PEOPLE. By March you should be probably hitting all stunts all the time.  It's not the fact that they dropped the stunt that makes me happy. Like, I'm not experiencing joy from their sorrow. Cali Smoed is an AMAZING team. Don't let this post make you think anything less. It's just comforting to know that nobody is unbeatable. Nobody is perfect. Everyone has made mistakes this season. Door's wide open for anyone in the Small Senior Coed division, and I can't WAIT to watch it all go down this weekend!!!









4. We did this Buzzfeed Quiz

The subtitle is "What, like it's hard?" -Elle Woods. I love that. You go Elle Woods, you're always relevant. I got Columbia. Hoven got Dartmouth. We are pleased with our results. Bravo BuzzFeed.

5. BuzzFeed also posted this


(Again, all cheerleading and Disney-related things on my mind this week) BRAVO THANK YOU SOMEBODY FOR MAKING THIS LIST. I don't totally agree with your ranking, but I was very pleased to see you didn't rank "Let it Go" as number one. THAT MOVIE IS NOT THE SECOND COMING PEOPLE. THERE ARE OTHER DISNEY MOVIES THAT ARE JUST AS GOOD/BETTER. I loved that they established criteria and that "When You Wish Upon A Star" is number one. That is the Disney song to define all Disney songs, if you ask me. +Kerry Benn and I spent the better part of an evening creating our own rankings. The summary of our findings were 1. You have Nightmare Before Christmas and James and the Giant Peach on this list but NOT TARZAN? C'mon people. 2. We both don't like The Jungle Book as much as whoever made this list, and 3. We both like Hercules a lot more than whoever made this list. You can see my top 10 favorite Disney songs of all time here.

LOATHED IT

Like I said, I really have not had the time nor the energy to consume a ton of pop culture this week. Also I'm in a delightfully great mood because I'm going to Disney World to watch Cheerleading for four days. So no loathing happening over here this week. Hoven agrees, and is too busy laughing at the thought of Shakespeare ripping shots at the wheel to add anything else. (I put wheel instead of the hawk because I know Hoven wasn't voted "most likely to still be at the hawk five years after graduation" like I was. It's an acquired love, really.)








No comments:

Post a Comment