Gimme A Doggie Bag, I'm Takin' it Home!

Sunday was probably my second favorite day of our trip (because Thursday already took the cake as one of the greatest days of my life).

We woke up at our own leisure and just spent the morning killing time until it was time to meet Kerry, Kyle, Shannon, Kyle and Annie at 5 Napkin Burger for lunch. We had pizza and smoothies for breakfast because we make the rules, and we ate on the stoop of a cute apartment. We were all about feeling like we lived there lol. We tried to use the CitiBikes but we kind of failed miserably.

We also got to go to Schmackary's. It's a cookie place that literally shared a building with the restaurant where we were supposed to have lunch. It is adorable, and the cookies are DELICIOUS. I had a smores cookie. I was the happiest camper because you know how much I love cookies. Also fun fact about Schmackary's: you can go on their website and send cookies to broadway shows. They have a lot of ties with the Broadway community and all of the actors have "favorite cookies." They also team up with Broadway Cares Equity Fights AIDS to raise money and the stars of various shows will come in and work in the shop to raise money. It was cool to see a place that I hear so many people talk about! Also I love cookies so....


We had Lunch at 5 Napkin Burger in Hell's Kitchen. I thought it was absolutely delicious. We met Kyle, Kerry, Shannon and Annie too. It was awesome to be able to spend the day with them. We finished up with lunch and headed over to the New Amsterdam Theater to see the matinee of Aladdin on Broadway. 


You guys, IT WAS THE MOST AMAZING THING I HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY ENTIRE LIFE. I can't say enough good things about this show. I always love to see musicals that are based on movies I love. It's cool seeing characters come to life and feel like you're transported into the movie, but this was unlike anything I've ever seen. Especially since I grew up watching movies like The Little Mermaid and Aladdin with Kerry and Ky, and I got to sit and watch the musical with them. It was a little bit different than the movie, but in the best way. We were all in AWE the entire time. The actors were so insanely talented and the production value was AMAZING. Have I said the word amazing too many times yet? 

There were more than 300 costumes in the production. The number "Prince Ali" ALONE had 80 different costumes. Different groups of people just KEPT ON MARCHING out onto the stage, and after like three or four groups I realized it was the same 15 people changing their costumes! Each costume was made with beautiful rich fabrics and TONS of sparkles. During "A Whole New World" the entire stage is covered with sparkling stars. The entire thing was a visual TREAT. 

The cave of wonders literally rose out of the sand. The carpet flies freely across the stage. I have no idea how they did it, but it was magical. I had goosebumps practically the entire time, and tears in my eyes more than once. 

We got to see James Monroe Iglehart as the Genie, a role he recently won a TONY award for. MAN OH MAN DID HE DESERVE IT. He was INCREDIBLE. He stole the show for sure. "Friend Like Me" is like 10 minutes long and he DOESN'T. STOP. MOVING. for the entire number. I watched the entire thing with tears in my eyes because it was so filled with joy. I never wanted it to stop. How lucky he must feel to be able to bring that much happiness to people every single day. I heard my aunt audibly gasp when tap dancers came out, and there was a 5 minute long standing ovation at the end of the number. I have never heard an audience cheer that loud in a Broadway show. It was delightful.  

I never wanted it to end. RUN don't walk to see this show. 




After the show was over we stuck around and met some of the actors outside the stage door. That. Was. Awesome. Courtney Reed (Jasmine) told me she liked my phone case. Lauren got a selfie with James Monroe Iglehart (Genie). The entire thing was just so cool. 


After Aladdin we had tickets to see Assssscat3000, but we skipped it. I was kind of bummed, but we still hadn't seen Central Park. I decided it was more important for Jesse and Lauren to see Central Park, and they agreed. We walked down 5th avenue on a high from that amazing production and watched the sunset in Central Park. It was like a dream. Also I felt very Mindy as we were walking through Central Park, because that place is like land of the romantic comedy. 


We finished off our evening at the Library Bar in the NoMad hotel. It was a bar that Jimmy Fallon once spoke of on his show, so naturally we wanted to try it. It had sort of a speakeasy vibe and had really cool gourmet drinks. It was the perfect end to a perfect trip. 

I'm so lucky I was able to take this trip, and I will remember it for the rest of my life. So much amazing culture and food and people. My heart is full.






No comments:

Post a Comment