Klew & Hoven's Book Review- Don't Worry It Gets Worse (That's a title, not a self-evaluation)

Okay so, I don't think you should be surprised by the fact that Hoven and I enjoy reading. We both just finished reading the same book, and we're going to chat about it. My sorority House Mom had a book club. This is kind of like that. Except neither of us is an old lady (but maybe one of us in spirit really is), and we don't meet in the Kappa Delta kitchen and pretend to talk about books while really we're just gossiping and drinking "juice" (scotch).
We both just finished Alida Nugent's Don't Worry, It Gets Worse: One Twentysomething's (Mostly Failed) Attemps at Adulthood

Photo Credit: the-frenemy.com

Summary

It's a story of a college graduate who leaves college without any sort of plan (sound familiar?). She started a blog (sound really familiar?), and it took of and eventually landed her a book deal (unfortunately, that part doesn't sound too familiar...yet.). It's basically just a collection of her post grad experiences, and it is SCARY how similar it is to both of our lives.

Klew's Thoughts

I just finished reading it last night. I enjoyed it, but it also made me mad. Not really MAD like riot-through-the-streets-with-a-torch mad, more like why-didn't-I-think-of-this-first mad. I felt at some points that she had read my mind to craft a thought. That's how close to home this bad boy hit. It was comforting, because now I see that it's not just me who is this much of a disaster after college. Overall, I definitely recommend it to any friend who feels like she has no control over anything in her life. This will speak to you. This will make you feel like everything will be okay.

Hoven's Thoughts

I had begged Klew to read this book for months, after one of my voracious reader friends lent it to me. Ever the optimist that I am, this book didn't make me so much as mad, as much as it made me convinced "yes I can do this too!"

Nugent covers reluctantly moving back home after college (I am queen of this club), trying to find a job with an English degree (I am on the executive director board of this club), but she also writes about how important it is to find passion in life, and keep that passion alive. I don't get to write in my day job, but I get to write here. That keeps the dream alive.

 Nugent also is a few steps ahead of Klew and me, not only in the fact she is a published author, but is a few years into friends getting married and life getting even more complicated and distant from the safe havens of your parent's car insurance and pow wows with your college mentor. I constantly look for mentors and models in life- I am as apt to trailblaze as I am to copycat, to be completely, if unflatteringly, honest. I like seeing myself, or possible versions of myself, in others, and Nugent offered a few futures I wouldn't mind, as well as a few I'll avoid like the bubonic plague. 

If you are a creative-y type wishing your career would embrace and nurture that sweet little baby bird creative brilliant genius-in-waiting soul of yours, this book will feel like a sharp pinch and a hug. But even if that isn't your gig, there is something universal about the aimlessness of your 20s in the 2000s. This book gets that, it gets you.




No comments:

Post a Comment