The 50 States Ranked Based on How Willingly I'd Move There

Now that we've graduated and have moved out of Lawrence/home/to the places our new jobs are we spend a lot of time discussing the United States and places we'd like to live or could maybe call home someday. Also I've been slacking on my 52 lists, so I've compiled this one:

(No offense to anyone who lives in any of these states. Home is where you make it, and where your loved ones surround you.)


1. Kansas


I already live here, so it's my number one. I went to college here (ok fine, also high school and junior high), I know a lot of people who live here. Lawrence is the happiest place on earth. It's cheap. My family is here. No qualms with growing up with Kansas, so The Sunflower State gets #1.

2. New York

My "home state." I was born in New York. I lived for a while in New York. I am never not plotting my return to New York. Only reason it's not number 1 is because it's SO EXPENSIVE. It's a dream of mine to move to New York City for a while. Greatest city in the world. 

3. Texas

I feel like everyone I know who has moved as of late has moved to Texas. It's warm there. There's Whataburger. I could dig it. 

4. Georgia

BECAUSE THE SOUTH. Also Georgia just seems so charming. Also if I had children they could be on Stingrays.

5. South Carolina

Charleston. Mmmmmmmm.

6. North Carolina

The Outer Banks is there. Also I'm pretty sure I can get sweet tea at any restaurant I walk into there. 

7. California

I think I would enjoy California, but like San Francisco. Not LA. Did you know San Francisco is in line with Kansas City? Like if you just walked in a straight line west from Kansas City you'd hit San Fran. If you went east you'd hit DC. I don't think I'd do well in LA, but I think it'd be fun to try to make it there. Overall I'm skeptical about California, but I think it'd be fun to give it a whirl.

8. Oklahoma

I don't know how this one got up this high, but it's warm a lot, a lot of the people I know from here are nice, and there's Cane's. I don't think this is an aspirational home as much as if someone told me "here's a great job, move to Oklahoma" I'd be cool with it. Also the sweet tea thing. 

9. Tennessee

NASHVILLE. Also the sweet tea thing. Also if I moved here it would probably be because I got a job working for a cheerleading company and that would be BOMB.

10. Hawaii

Becuase duh who hasn’t daydreamed about living in Hawaii. It's not higher up becuase a. it’s not realistic and b. it’s very expensive.

11. Virginia

There’s a lot of cool history. Also it's on the east coast. That is my preferred coast.

12. Florida

I’ve always said Florida is a place for people from NJ who were too much of wussies to handle the weather. Too bad for me that describes myself. So yeah, I guess I was sort of made for Florida. Also I could go to Disney World whenever I wanted.

13. Pennsylvania

I’ve already lived here. It was nice. Philadelphia was alright. You can get great food, and there’s lots of cool history stuff.

14. New Jersey

Because if you had to live in a suburb and commute, wouldn’t you want that city to be NYC? Yeah. Jerz, I get it. I've lived here before and I like Kansas better, but New Jersey is alright. It’s a love/hate relationship, but it’s mostly love.

15. Connecticut

I can get a train to NYC from here.

16. Massachusetts

Because FINE BOSTON. I UNDERSTAND YOU’RE PRETTY. Also would rather be freezing on the east coast than freezing out in the middle of nowhere.

17. Rhode Island

Same east coast freezing rationale.

18. Kentucky

I think I’d do well in the south. Sweet tea. Would move to Kentucky just for the cheerleading.

19. Louisiana

This would’ve been much higher on the list had my brother not gotten shot here. Still a very nice place. COOL CULTURE. People would want to visit often. Also Bey and Jay's tour went to New Orleans and didn't come to Kansas City so...

20. Delaware

Train ride to NYC.

21. Illinois

Because living in Chicago wouldn’t be the END OF THE WORLD, but it’s not NYC. Never will be NYC. CHICAGO STOP TRYING TO BE NYC. Also it snows here like, always. I couldn't do it.

22. Missouri

Would be lower on the list, but the reality of it is I’ll probably end up living in Missouri to be closer to work. Womp womp. REFUSE to get a Missouri driver’s license tho. REFUSE. Do not let this moderately high ranking lead you to believe that Missouri is NOT the butthole of America, becasue it is.

23. Alabama

I don't know. Middle of the list. More of a “there are a lot of places that could be worse” thing. Also sweet tea.

24. Mississippi

See Alabama description.

25. Arizona

See Mississippi description. Also I would probably fare well here because zero humidity and warmth.

26. Maryland

Baltimore seems dangerous (Ray Rice) but I would be close to family. Also the Baltimore Aquarium is COOL.

27. Oregon

Only ranked this high as long as Megan Lewis is there. Drops significantly once she moves out.

28. Arkansas

See Alabama description.

29. Minnesota

If I HAD to move somewhere that’s THIS COLD, at least this is a big city. Plus Mall of America is in Minnesota.

30. Maine

I don’t think I’d like it here, but I'm unsure.

31. Nevada

At least it's dry and warm. I feel like I would feel eternally hungover in Nevada just from breathing the same air as people in Vegas do.

32. West Virginia

At least I’d still be in the Big 12? I don't think I'd like it here.

33. Nebraska

Only reason it’s this high is because it’s a short drive home to KC.

34. Wisconsin

It’s freezing. I would hate it here. But Go Pack. 

35. Utah

Snows too much. But wouldn’t mind if I could live with Aunt Patty and Uncle Richie.

36. Michigan

DETROIT? Nope.

37. Vermont

sNOw

38. New Hampshire

see Vermont description.

39. Washington

I know nobody and nothing about this place.

40. Indiana

BORING

41. Wyoming

EVEN MORE BORING

42. Idaho

EVEN MORE BORING

43. New Mexico

EVEN MORE BORING

44. Montana

EVEN MORE BORING (I was able to list 49 of the 50 states from memory. Like that episode of Friends. Montana was the one I forgot)

45. South Dakota

EVEN MORE BORING (AND COLD)

46. North Dakota

EVEN MORE BORING (AND COLDER)

47. Iowa

Freezing, not even beautiful like some of the cold western states.

48. Alaska

Far away from the fam, and it’s one of those places where you run into that issue where you only get so much sunlight a day? No thanks. Also snow. That's a given.

49. Colorado

Because the “we’re so cool bc we can smoke weed” thing is the most annoying thing in the world. WE GET IT. ITS NOT THAT COOL. Also it snows there. A lot.

50. Ohio

Worst state in the nation. Bye.







No comments:

Post a Comment