Made In The A.M.

Our thoughts on the new One Direction Album


1. HEY ANGEL

Kathryn Hoven:
This opening is amazing. They sound like the Stone Roses who were a massive English band that came out just before Oasis from Manchester. They played with like, 60s pop sounds but also 90s rock. That's this.
Katie Lewis:
YEAH you just articulated it for me.
“Wish I could be more like you,” DONT. WE. ALL, Louis.
Kathryn Hoven:
This also could be a Savage Garden song.
Katie Lewis:
THAT'S WHAT IT IS! I couldn't put my finger on it! I could see this being an opening number IF THEY DECIDE TO GO BACK ON TOUR SIGH
Kathryn Hoven:
Also that drum section. The rhythm is the opening of Bittersweet Symphony for sure.
Katie Lewis:
Yeah I imagine them in that 90s music video wearing long black jackets as they’re in slow mo and the traffic speeds around them so its just lights.
Kathryn Hoven:
I wonder how many of these songs Liam had a hand in, and how he might not want to sing songs about Sophia because he has too many feelings. Like maybe that’s a benefit. I do not want a tour of him being weepy. That's gross.

Overall thoughts on Hey Angel: Hey Angel is a perf opener and I love it. - Kathryn Hoven

2. DRAG ME DOWN

Katie Lewis:
Okay ya DRAG ME DOWN. PERFECT SINGLE. I was pleased when it came out. IS THAT BCECAUSE I WAS THIRSTY FOR 1D? Okay word that differently. HOWEVER, I think if this had just come out with the whole album I might have bypassed it.
Kathryn Hoven:
Drag Me Down sounds like Europe's "The Final Countdown" with only slightly less camp and I do not like it. It's also a little bit like The Police which I also have never been super into. Like "Roxanne." It doesn't progress anywhere you stay in this like firing up kind of mode "all my life/all these lights" sections, but I don't think the payoff is enough because they also kind of fade out of Harry's notes there inexplicably.
Katie Lewis:
BUT THE VIDEO!
LIAM RIDING A BIKE!
HARRY DANCING WITH THAT ROBOT!
NIALL BEING STOKED ABOUT NASA!
Kathryn Hoven:
Zero interest in space (sorry Niall). I guess my issue with the song is that it's good but not great and wastes potential to go to other levels.
Katie Lewis:
I'm already sort of over it at this point because I’ve listened ad nauseum since it was released.
Kathryn Hoven:
It also sounds like it was made for transition music to commercial on ESPN. If a dominant team was killing it against a rival and you were a music editor? Nobody can drag me down.

Overall thoughts on Drag Me Down: 
Kathryn Hoven:
I get that it has to follow Angel rhythmically and it's fine. Glad Niall went to NASA. Good for you buddy.
Katie Lewis:
I like it. Still not my fave, but give me more Liam on the bike.

3. PERFECT

Kathryn Hoven:
Shall we?
Katie Lewis:
Ugh. We shall.
Kathryn Hoven:
Listen. This is my SONG. This is my. song.
Katie Lewis:
HOVEN WE ARE STAUNCH RIVALS IN THIS SITUATION. YOU ARE HAMILTON I AM BURR.
Kathryn Hoven:
Wow you know what was the most Klew about that? In your infinite generosity you made me Hamilton. You will be Hamilton for "End of the Day," which I hate.
Katie Lewis:
Take it away.
Kathryn Hoven:
Perfect: 1. Harry Harry Harry Harry.
2. Music vid in NYC. Why did you guys not call me?
Katie Lewis:
Will agree there thx for picking the greatest city in the world. Also Harry I like your little bow tie suit thing.
Kathryn Hoven:
3. IRONIC POP SONGS are rare.
4. It has the same kind of airy feeling of like, Coldplay's 4th album or even "What Do You Mean."
5. Suck it Taylor.
Katie Lewis:
SUCK. IT. TAYLOR.
Kathryn Hoven:
6. I know this song is basically "Style" but still, suck it Taylor.
7. Harry I'll do every single one of those things.
8. I'm a big believer in that there are different kinds of connections that are really important in different ways and this album is MULTIFACETED in that way.
9. "If you want someone to write your breakup songs about," bye.
Katie Lewis:
ughhhhhhhhhhhhhh THESE ARE ALL GREAT POINTS BUT I NEED TO STAND UP FOR LITTLE GIRLS EVERYWHERE WHO ARE GOING TO INTERPRET THIS TO MEAN ITS OKAY TO LET SOME BOY WALK ALL OVER YOU. PLEASE READ INTO IT WAY TOO MUCH LIKE US AND REALIZE THE IRONY IM BEGGING YOU.
Kathryn Hoven:
Right but here’s the deal: The song can be a teachable moment. That song is Harry essentially saying I know what I'm supposed to seem like but this is what I've learned. Let's keep in mind the same man wrote "Where Do Broken Hearts Go."
Katie Lewis:
I’d just rather my Harry Styles to be on his knees for the Girl Almighty is ALL IM SAYING.

Overall thoughts on Perfect: Hoven love, Klew not.

4. INFINITY

Katie Lewis:
I like this one but to be honest now that the entire album is out I’ll probably skip over it 9 times out of 10 on the shuffle.
Kathryn Hoven:
Yeah I like it. Every once in awhile I'm like "oh yeah, this song." It's more of that big bright airy sound though which I like, and they clearly like it they played it at LiveLounge.
Katie Lewis:
This could be a really cool one with lights at the concert THAT PROBABLY ISN'T HAPPENING.
Kathryn Hoven:
Lyrically I'm confused. "How many nights would it take to count the stars that’s the time it would take to break my heart." Is your heart unbreakable?
Katie Lewis:
To *fix my heart
Kathryn Hoven:
Oh Klew God bless ye. "Infinity" also has some of the Coldplay 5th album big sound. I agree its an arena song

Overall thoughts on Infinity: 1D y u no make new tour?

5. END OF THE DAY

Kathryn Hoven:
end of the day
Katie Lewis:
END OF THE DAY
Kathryn Hoven:
...so go ahead
Katie Lewis:
I LOVE DIS SONG
Kathryn Hoven:
This song could be in "High School Musical."
Katie Lewis:
Which is probably why I like it. I like the cheese. I LOVE SONGS ABOUT FOLLOWING YOUR HEART.
Kathryn Hoven:
There is a very Disney Mickey Mouse quality to that chorus.
Katie Lewis:
It bugs me that the verses don’t really seem to “go” with the chorus, musically. But THIS IS THE SONG WHERE THE GUY REALIZES HES IN LOVE WITH THE GIRL AND HAS THE EPIPHANY! ME HER AND THE MOON! Also Katie Wells thought the lyrics were “the priest thinks it's Adele” and I loved the association of Adele/devil because I hate Adele. It's just about BEING YOU! SAY WHAT YOU SAY! WANT WHAT YOU WANT! This is my favorite song on the album.
Kathryn Hoven:
It's the chorus that grates on me. I can't. (lolol Adele)
Katie Lewis:
Ugh Your "Perfect" is my "End of the Day."
Kathryn Hoven:
Exactly.

Overall thoughts on End of the Day: Klew is doing the emoji with the hearts for eyes and Hoven is doing the flat face one that's this: :-|

6. IF I COULD FLY

Katie Lewis:
This song should be called "for your eyes only" in my opinion.
Katie Lewis:
love piano
Kathryn Hoven (simultaneously):
I'm loving that they are experimenting with piano though. Very different. I can't really think of another of theirs? Am I wrong?
Katie Lewis:
This song is PERSONAL AF. I wonder who wrote this.
Kathryn Hoven:
It IS. I wanna know.
Katie Lewis:
This makes up for "Perfect."
Kathryn Hoven:
SMH Klew. PEOPLE ARE MULTFACETED.

Short Break Where We Agree that "Little Things" needs to be finished:

Katie Lewis:
At first I thought [If I Could Fly] was the new "Little Things," but then I think I heard another one that is DEFINITELY the new "Little Things." Regardless, there is a new Little Things." They need to put "Little Things" TO BED.
Kathryn Hoven:
Retire "Little Things" 2k15
Katie Lewis:
NO GLASS OF WATER, JUST GO RIGHT TO BED
Kathryn Hoven:
Get up there Cindy Lou Who
Katie Lewis:
Footy pajamas. "Little Things" just reminds me of all the attention I did not pay in every science class ever. Instead, dicking around with my friends.
Kathryn Hoven:
LOL WHY.
Katie Lewis:
Every time that song is performed in concert they are NOT IN IT. I SEE YOU, LILOU.
Kathryn Hoven:
LOL they hate it. Harry wont sing some of the lines.
Katie Lewis:
They are the pop star equivalent of doodling in their planner during science class.
Kathryn Hoven:
Niall is the only one into it mostly because he makes the crowd sing "I love you" to him.

Overall Thoughts on If I Could Fly:
Katie Lewis:
I liked that a lot
Kathryn Hoven:
I wanna be the girl they wrote this about. Unless it's Sophia. Then it's all you. If it was Harry YEAH PICK ME, CHOOSE ME, LOVE ME

Halftime where we bitch about Justin Bieber, who released his album today as well.

Katie Lewis:
Lol Zee just came at me on Gchat: “Bieber > 1D”
Kathryn Hoven:
Zee imma need you to sit down.
Katie Lewis:
I said “THOSE ARE SOME FIGHTING WORDS.” Look what she said:
Elizabeth Raplinger:
hahahaha. Sorry doll. I'm comin over to the Bieber side. I'm diggin' his jams these days.
Katie Lewis:
Okay ya the album is fine but he is TRASH as a human.
Elizabeth Raplinger:
"He's sorry" Katie.
Katie Lewis:
ELIZABETH
Elizabeth Raplinger:
hahahahaha. I'm actually sitting in my cube laughing
Katie Lewis:
You're still a turd who thinks its okay to urinate in public and cry when bouncers won’t let you into a club underage. Go get another neck tat u perv.

Kathryn Hoven:
Listen. When he was at his craziest reporters were begging 1D to dump all over him, and all they would say is "it must be impossibly hard to do that alone, he's just going to figure it out." But 1D releases the same day as Bieber and he throws a hissy? Shut up. One is a set of gracious individuals in an insane career, the other is a single douchebag angry at the world for having an unbelievable life? Stop. Also "Sorry" is straight up rude. YES IT'S TOO LATE YOU DICKHEAD.


7. LONG WAY DOWN

Kathryn Hoven:
I'm very into this song
Katie Lewis:
THIS is the “Little Things” replacement maybe. Now I can’t remember which one it was. I like this.
Kathryn Hoven:
Minus the part about spaceships. Lyrically sometimes I’m like “were you blacked out?” Louis always gets the worst lyrics (did you write them Louis? Did you lose a bet?)
Katie Lewis:
And the answer is “possibly.” To all.
Kathryn Hoven:
Harry on the chorus. Into it. “I try to forgive you, but I struggle cause I don't know how…” That’s honest af. This and “Love You Goodbye” could be country ballads that would make Tim McGraw millions.
Katie Lewis:
Oh wow. You’re right. Except now they’re gonna make Niall millions sorry.
Kathryn Hoven:
Comparing this to anything off “Midnight Memories” or earlier, it’s amazing how spare this song is.
Katie Lewis:
Yeah seriously.
Kathryn Hoven:
This is a super mature song emotionally. “It's a long way down” is real! I bet Liam is listening to this on loop.
Katie Lewis:
They’re appealing to the sad gehls.
Kathryn Hoven:
SAD GIRLS CLUB. I’M THE PRESIDENT. I’ve discussed this.

Overall thoughts on Long Way Down:
Katie Lewis:
Yeah I ENJOYED THAT MY FRIENDS.
Kathryn Hoven:
I love it I really do, but I live for sad stuff. They are RARE with a sad song! #growth

8. NEVER ENOUGH

Katie Lewis:
YES NEVER ENOUGH. THIS IS THE “ACT MY AGE” OF THIS ALBUM. I LOVE THE WEEMAWOMPS.
Kathryn Hoven:
This song is straight up Paul Simon. Which is amazing.
Katie Lewis:
This is my second favorite. I hope they make this into a music video.
Kathryn Hoven:
Sonically it’s ASTOUNDING this boy band got this song on the record.
Katie Lewis:
I LOVE THIS SONG
Kathryn Hoven:
It’s basically “You Can Call Me Al.”
Katie Lewis:
THAT’S PROBABLY WHY I LIKE IT.
Kathryn Hoven:
It’s so so so good.
Katie Lewis:
IMAGINE OUR DAUGHTERS LISTENING TO THIS IN THAT STUPID NEW WHEEL JUKE BOX AFTER MAKING IT INTO RCR.
Kathryn Hoven:
EXACTLY. This is Wheel music.
Katie Lewis:
WOWOWO I love the Wheel.
Kathryn Hoven:
Right when you get there and see everyone you know. Except RIP jukebox.
Katie Lewis:
Like T12 will sing this at Turkey Pull.

Overall thoughts on Never Enough: God bless any song that brings us back to the Wheel.

9. OLIVIA

Katie Lewis:
I love the British people talking at the beginning. I love ALL OF THE WORDS in this. So many v sounds. This is in the vein of Lin-Manuel with the words IF YOU ASK ME. This is British af.
Kathryn Hoven:
Olivia is GREAT. It’s like their “Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds.”
Katie Lewis:
Have you ever heard of the band “McFly?” It sounds like them
Kathryn Hoven:
But also like...”Pirates of Penzance.” I have Niall is besties with McFly.
Katie Lewis:
Boom. This song makes me wish more than ANYTHING that my name was Olivia
Kathryn Hoven:
The lyrical pacing is Gilbert & Sullivan. It’s just very sweet and fun.
Katie Lewis:
3rd favorite song
Kathryn Hoven:
But also lifted from Haim

Overall thoughts on Olivia: Olivia is wonderful. We love it.

10. WHAT A FEELING

Kathryn Hoven:
70s af. It has a Fleetwood Mac vibe. Almost like "Rhiannon."
Katie Lewis:
THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I SAID! I told my mom “this is like something dad listens to."
Kathryn Hoven:
aka GREAT. Also Harry and Niall love Fleetwood.
Katie Lewis:
The chorus is something I’ve slow danced with my dad to at the beach when there’s a live band. I have STRONG FEELINGS about this.
Kathryn Hoven:
Never slow danced with don in my life, but in agreement this song is fab.
Katie Lewis:
OMG every wedding ever. Any time any band plays live frankly
Kathryn Hoven:
The one daddy daughter dance I might have been forced to do was at my uncle pats wedding where I was a flower girl and I hid under a table to avoid it.

Overall thoughts on What a Feeling: Dad song. In the best way.

11. LOVE YOU GOODBYE

Kathryn Hoven:
This song begs to be covered in Nashville.
Katie Lewis:
Oh this is the "breakup sex" song. I will listen to this probably today and that’s it.
Kathryn Hoven:
lolololol. I love the guitar but this needs to be sung by a life hardened 40-year-old.
Katie Lewis:
Yeah boring. Next.
Kathryn Hoven:
I like the HEY HEY HEY build though. It's a well-structured song.
Katie Lewis:
This could very quickly derail and become a weird "You and I"music video.
Kathryn Hoven:
I do love Harry though. "You and I" was the absolute worst. I was offended
Katie Lewis:
THE WORST

Overall thoughts on Love You Goodbye: Meh, but not worse than "You & I."

12. I WANT TO WRITE YOU A SONG

Kathryn Hoven:
1d does "Hey there Delilah."
Katie Lewis:
Beginning reminds me of "Napoleon Dynamite." I like that you can hear the writing in the background. I like how it’s little poems.
Kathryn Hoven:
It's sweet and simple but also a lil renaissance-y. Like is that a mandolin??
Katie Lewis:
THIS is "Little Things"
Kathryn Hoven:
But way better
Katie Lewis:
Right
Kathryn Hoven:
This could be a good walk down the aisle song. Or music to a wedding video.
Katie Lewis:
Wow yep.
Kathryn Hoven:
Sweet sweeties.
Katie Lewis:
GOOD JOB LADS.

Overall thoughts on I Want to Write You a Song: Twinkly. Floaty. Lovely.

13. HISTORY

Katie Lewis:
I LOVE THIS ONE. I think this is ~*For the fans*~
Kathryn Hoven:
These are some SMART BOYS this song is perf for the timing. It's def for the fans but also sometimes I’m like is this a F U to Zayn in disguise.
Katie Lewis:
Yep. I like the clapping. You know Harry will LOVE to make people clap along.
Kathryn Hoven:
I like that they then pull in the electric guitars. Harry likes a big loud in unison chorus. "LIVE FOREVER." Also "Live Forever" is a fave Oasis song of mine
Katie Lewis:
I like this a lot
Kathryn Hoven:
"History" is great because it changes intensity well that sweet acoustic in the beginning is like early John Mayer.
Katie Lewis:
And then it builds. I love when it builds.
Kathryn Hoven:
And Harry’s fave song used to be "Free Fallin, John Mayer" (IT'S A TOM PETTY SONG that’s my fave joke)
Katie Lewis:
hahahahahahah
Kathryn Hoven:
This is a song to be sung TOGETHER

Overall thoughts on History: 

14. TEMPORARY FIX

Kathryn Hoven:
1. KINGS OF LEON
Katie Lewis:
This song is FRAT BOYS
Kathryn Hoven:
It's 1D does "Sex on Fire," so it's lighter, but that’s what it is. Niall has said that’s what it is. ALSO Harry is friends with Nathan Followill aka the drummer and eldest Folllowill of Kings of Leaon it's just all LOT for me. This one is a Midnight Memories song with more freedom.
Katie Lewis:
They’ll probably have SO MUCH FUN performing this one. This will have a music video of them knocking crap over in a grocery store. Harry wearing his pink polka dot shirt.
Kathryn Hoven:
It's also like an extension of "No Control." 70s 80s cock rock is what it is.
Katie Lewis:
LOL this was the song Louis was singing to baby mama.
Kathryn Hoven:
It's so fun and like they are AT THE AGE. They’d be doing this, famous or not.
Katie Lewis:
Yeah it is APPROPRIATE
Kathryn Hoven:
Have fun boys but have fun with ME. That applies exclusively to 50% of you

Overall thoughts on Temporary Fix: 

15. WALKING IN THE WIND

Katie Lewis:
This. is. the. Zayn. song. WITHOUT a doubt.
Kathryn Hoven:
Opening of "Walking in the Wind" vs. the opening of "Oh What a Night." #jerseyboys
Katie Lewis:
I CAUGHT THAT TOO!
Kathryn Hoven:
Also "Babylon" by David Gray throughout
Katie Lewis:
This sounds like it could’ve been on the last album
Kathryn Hoven:
Yes. I loooooooooove it

Overall thoughts on Walking in the Wind: 

16. WOLVES

Kathryn Hoven:
Wolves I am extremely into
Katie Lewis:
It's the happy ending to a romantic comedy
Kathryn Hoven:
"You Make My Dreams Come True"
Katie Lewis:
Yeah
Kathryn Hoven:
It is a little Hall & Oates
Katie Lewis:
Nod at Swifty? She has a song about foxes.
Kathryn Hoven:
What if one day Harry ends up with Taylor and everything I’ve felt was a lie?
Katie Lewis:
We’re not going to entertain such LUDICROUISNESS idk how to spell that word
Kathryn Hoven:
This would be a great end of movie song I agree
Katie Lewis:
~*HAPPILY EVER AFTER*~
Kathryn Hoven:
Never had a song with wolves in the title not work out for me.
Katie Lewis:
So it was a good omen. Good harmonies
Kathryn Hoven:
oui

Overall thoughts on Wolves: 

17: AM

Kathryn Hoven:
A.M. already!
Katie Lewis:
This might also be a Zayn song
Kathryn Hoven:
Aftermath. After Malik. "This is the aftermath there ain't gonna be nothin' after that so f*** rap you can have it back." - Dr. Dre
Katie Lewis:
Ya this is a Zayn song FOR SURE
Kathryn Hoven:
Guess which part I hate.
Katie Lewis:
"Talking out of our asses."
Kathryn Hoven:
Yeah SCREW THAT. Lazy writing, I hate the word ass. Choose ANYTHING ELSE. I hate it. I think Harry was deeply bothered by #Zayn.

Overall thoughts on AM: 

OUR FAVORITES

Katie Lewis:
My favorites: End of the Day, Never Enough, Olivia

Kathryn Hoven:
Perfect, Long Way Down, Temporary fix.


No comments:

Post a Comment